Who ever said the road was going to be easy? In this episode (PART ONE), we chat with culinary entrepreneur, and future chef Courtnee Futch about how she landed her “dream job” – all while navigating many twists and turns along the way. The story begins in her Syracuse University dorm room where Courtnee’s first business – ThunderCakes – was conceived. Courtnee talks what she learned launching a business in college & running it for four years, why she decided to put entrepreneurship on hold to pursue a life as a professional in New York City, and the exact steps she took to secure her dream job as a Business Development Manager for a gourmet food importer. Courtnee also discusses the lessons she’s learned along the way such as the importance of self advocacy, why taking risks is crucial, and what to do when you face challenges in your #dreamdriving journey. Make sure to stayed tuned for PART TWO to learn the shocking news I received from Courtnee nine days after we recorded this interview. Hope you enjoy!
IN THIS PODCAST WE DISCUSS:
– Courtnee’s earliest inspirations
– How Courtnee launched her first businessThunder Cakes from her college dorm room
– Why Courtnee decided to close down Thundercakes + things she thinks she missed out in college
– The importance of self advocacy & seeking validation
– Applying for full-time jobs post-entrepreneurship
– The myth of the “perfect candidate” + 3 phases of interviewing
– How Courtnee got her “dream job”
– Future aspirations + current challenges
– The importance of having a “mirror” + someone to positively reinforce your vision
– The importance of taking risks
“My goal was to make people as uncomfortable as possible. My job is not to make you feel comfortable. My goal is not to placate. My goal is to be excellent.”
COURTNEE’S KEYS TO SUCCESS:
1. Self awareness
2. DOING (Entrepreneurs vs. wantrepreneurs)
3. Be the type of person you want to work for and with
FIND COURTNEE FUTCH ONLINE:
Linkedin: Courtney Futch
MadameNoire: Thundercakes Courtnee Futch Took A Dorm Room Baking Business To The Big Stage
JOIN THE #DREAMSINDRIVE COMMUNITY: www.dreamsindrive.com/JOIN
When you’re building your brand, it’s important to always show up, look, and feel your BEST! Add length and volume to your hair in minutes using Kurly Klips – clip in extensions. Kurly Klips is perfect if you’re looking for a great protective style with versatility. You can dye, straighten, or style the clip-ins as you would your own hair. Be sure to visit kurlyklips.com and use offer code DREAMDRIVER to save $15 on your next purchase.
Don’t forget to check out episode 13 “Starting Over & Creating Your Own Lane” with Kurly Klups CEO & Founder Lana Boone where she shares her #dreamdriving story and what inspired her to launch Kurly Klips.