What does it take to make it as a screenwriter in the TV industry today? On this episode of Dreams In Drive, Damilare Sonoiki shares how he made it to the writer’s room. From his current role as a staff writer on the ABC show Black-ish to launching the viral Youtube trailer for African Booty Scratcher, Damilare is putting his footprint is slowly building his own writing legacy. He talks about his road to Cali, some of the lessons he’s learned, and the challenges and epiphanies he’s experienced along the way.
IN THIS PODCAST YOU’LL LEARN:
– How Damilare got a writing agent & became a staff writer on Black-ish
– Why you don’t always have to “start from the bottom” in order to land a great writing gig
– What really happens inside the writer’s room + how to handle being the “youngest” in the room
– Why finding a mentor is SUPER important
– The key to getting in the right industry networks + what happened when he met Drake
– Why you shouldn’t force if it’s not the right time
– The formula for getting ahead as a writer
– What inspired Damilare to write, film, and create the trailer for African Booty Scratcher
DAMILARE’S RECOMMEND READING:
– Elephant Bucks: An Inside Guide to Tv Writng For Sitcoms by Sheldon Bull
– Save The Cat: The last Book on Screenwriting You’l Ever Need by Blake Synder
– Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting by Syd Field
DAMILARE’S KEYS TO SUCCESS (WHAT YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED IN YOUR TOOLKIT):
ENJOY THIS WEEK’S EPISODE? TELL US WHY IN THE COMMENTS SECTION BELOW!