Are you multi-passionate? Sometimes you don’t have to choose. Sometimes it’s not an “either/or.” In this episode, Jasmine Lawrence hones in on the power of not limiting yourself when it comes to your passion & potential.
At the age of 13, after attending a Network For Teaching Entrepreneurship BizCamp, Jasmine Lawrence founded EDEN BodyWorks to meet her own need for affordable natural hair and body care products. After 12 years in business, her products are available at Target, Wal-Mart, CVS, Walgreens, Amazon, Kroger, HEB, and Sally Beauty Supply stores just to name a few.
But, beauty isn’t Jasmine’s only passion. As a kid, she also had a huge love for science and technology. She graduated from Georgia Institute of Technology with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science (with concentrations in devices and artificial intelligence) and now serves as a Program Manager on the HoloLens Experience team at Microsoft.
So, it is really possible to run a thriving beauty empire AND manage a full-time tech career? Yes.
How? You’ll have to listen to find out.
SOME OF THE TOPICS WE DISCUSS:
– What inspired Jasmine as a child
– How a bad hair experience & attending a business camp inspired Jasmine to pursue entrepreneurship
– The key questions Jasmine asked herself to get her business off the ground
– How to define your core values + brand mission
– What getting her first sale felt like as a young entrepreneur
– What growth looked like in the early days of the business
– Launching a business without a website
– How “Oprah’s golden touch” sent her company into 3 months of backorders
– Personal challenges navigating being a young entrepreneur
– How Jasmine pursued her love for science & tech while pursuing entrepreneurship
– Why Jasmine enjoyed attending Georgia Tech
– Jasmine’s Microsoft stry
– Transferrable skills Jasmine has learned working with Microsoft
– Core metrics you should understand about your business
– How to leave your mark in industries that aren’t always diverse
JASMINE LAWRENCE’S KEYS TO SUCCESS:
2. Be bold/fearless.
3. Don’t go alone.
When you inspired to use your life experiences to change other people’s life, that’s a hard thing to let go because you weren’t expecting it to happen.
FIND JASMINE LAWRENCE ON:
Instagram: @edensjasmine | @edenbodyworks
Twitter: @edensjasmine | @edenbodyworks
JOIN THE #DREAMSINDRIVE COMMUNITY: www.dreamsindrive.com/JOIN
JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP: www.dreamsindrive.com/facebook
OUR EPISODE PARTNER: SKILLUMÉ
If you are currently in a job you don’t love or if you’re applying to jobs with no call backs, consider taking advantage of Skillumé’s Dream Driver Package. Founder Marina V. has helped hundreds of people discover their skills, develop their career stories and find the jobs of their dreams. For $125 you will get, a resumé assessment, a new resumé creation, and a one hour call with a career coach during where you will learn the ins and outs of the best way to find a job you love.