Two words: BE PASSIONATE. On this episode of Dreams In Drive , we chat with Teri Johnson – travel and lifestyle expert at travelistateri.com and the founder of luxury fragrance brand Harlem Candle Company.Her passion for adventure and storytelling has taken her to 66 countries where she has produced over 200 videos for destinations,hotels, chains and car companies. Teri has been a guest on CNBC’s “On the Money”, NBC’s “Celebrity Apprentice,” and hosted and produced multiple series with the Travel Channel.com, Huffington Post, BET.com, etc. After launching Harlem Candle Company in 2014, she immersed herself into learning a new business and how to build the company from the ground up. Teri chats in-depth about the challenges of dream-driving and what she’s doing to ensure future success.
IN THIS PODCAST YOU’LL LEARN:
– When Teri knew it was time to quit her job as a management consultant
– Why doing what you love and being genuine will help your brand in the early days
– How Teri accidentally stumbled into the business of making and selling candles
– What changed once Teri decided to get serious about growing Harlem Candle Company
– Why you’ll need to seek out experts if you want to grow
– Why you need to know your competition + have a business plan if you want to grow
– How having multiple streams of income helped Teri finance Harlem Candle Company
– The importance of building relationships and finding partners that KNOW your market
– The experience that changed Teri’s outlook on business
– How to keep momentum going when you’re on a roll
– What to do if you network “too much”
– How to get people excited for your vision + how to use stories to build your brand
– BONUS: Teri’s crochet bikini line + WHY IT FAILED
On Sharing: “If you believe in yourself and you know that you are creative and you know that there are a thousand of other ideas from where that came…then there’s nothing to worry about or stress.”
On Testing: “Even if you are scared, you have to test as much as you possibly can before you decide this is really what you want to do. There are going to be some days where you are so excited and motivated and some days when you can’t get out of bed. You have to be ready for both.”
On Re-Evaluating Setbacks: “Sometimes you don’t even realize…sometimes those things that you think are bad turn out to be blessings in disguise. They either motivate you more, makes you get your business plan a little bit tighter, makes you know who you can trust…”
TERI’S KEYS TO SUCCESS (WHAT YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED IN YOUR TOOLKIT):
1. Passion that becomes infectious.
2. A strong support system
3. Network. Believe in the power and goodness of people. Reciprocate.
ENJOY THIS WEEK’S EPISODE? TELL US WHY IN THE COMMENTS SECTION BELOW!