What does it take to build a career where you feel like you are growing, satisfied, joyful and happy? We chat with Tola Lawal -an Assistant Director of College Success. Tola talks about her career journey working at media powerhouses such as MTV, BET, and Centric AND running her own marketing agency. Tola discusses how she was able to tap into her passions and thrive in each new role that came her way. We discuss how to master the workplace, creating opportunities for yourself, juggling your full-time job and side hustles, common networking and branding mistakes, and more. Tola also dives into why she has a passion for challenging youth to be the best version of themselves and is leading the charge in helping inner city students take control of their life trajectory by arming them with the tools needed to succeed in college and beyond. Get inspired to start making your next move your best move. Enjoy!
IN THIS PODCAST WE DISCUSS:
– What inspired Tola as a child
– Why Tola majored in Communications in college
– The power of college internships
– Mastering the workplace
– How to create opportunities for yourself
– Challenges juggling a full-time and a side hustle
– Networking tips for building your brand
– Why Tola switched careers to focus on youth education & college success
– What to focus on to secure brand sponsorships
– Launching Gyrl Wonder
– Why Tola doesn’t have any regrets
– The biggest mistake professionals make when building their personal brand
– Why your marketing/branding needs to be clear
TOLA LAWAL’S KEYS TO SUCCESS:
2. Top 5 – Mentors
Make sure to tell brands why you are dope, what you bring to the table, and what a partnership with you means for THEM.
Make sure it looks like you are putting forth an effort when presenting your brand to the public. When it looks like you don’t care, we don’t care.
JOIN THE #DREAMSINDRIVE COMMUNITY: www.dreamsindrive.com/JOIN
OUR EPISODE PARTNER:
When you’re building your brand, it’s important to always show up, look, and feel your BEST! Add length and volume to your hair in minutes using Kurly Klips – clip in extensions.You can dye, straighten, or style the clip-ins as you would your own hair. Be sure to visit kurlyklips.com and use offer code DREAMDRIVER to save $15 on your next purchase.
Don’t forget to check out episode 13 “Starting Over & Creating Your Own Lane” with Kurly Klups CEO & Founder Lana Boone where she shares her #dreamdriving story.